Sun, sea, sand… after the past two years of lockdowns and travel restrictions this sounds like bliss, but if you’re planning a holiday, don’t forget to factor in a hair care plan too. You may love the sun, but your hair most definitely won’t.
First things first…
Ensuring your hair looks beach-babe tousled, sun-kissed and effortlessly cool takes planning.
Start with a pre-holiday trim and professional conditioning treatment for healthy strong strands ready to fend off the onslaught of hot sunshine, salty sea water and chlorinated pools.
Avoid sun-stressed locks
Hair becomes weaker, drier and far more prone to breakage and split ends when it is exposed to the sun. This is because the sun’s rays quickly alter the structure of the hair. To avoid sun-stressed locks apply a high SPF product such as add sun protection products like Schwarzkopf Sun Protect whenever you’re in the sun.
Remember your scalp is an extension of your face, so be especially careful along your parting and where hair is thinning.
Add much needed moisture by treating hair to an intensive, nourishing mask in the evening; Like Rekden All Soft Cleaning Mask to restore vital moisture lost from exposure to UV rays, heat and pool chemicals and create soft, healthy, shiny locks. Ask your stylist to recommend the best one for your hair type.
Coloured hair on vacay
Coloured hair is especially vulnerable to sun, sea and chlorine.
The sun fades coloured hair. And hair that isn’t coloured may become lighter, but this is just another sign of sun damage and should be avoided explains.
Avoid the holiday hair blues. Get organised and book your pre and post-holiday appointments now 01472 694900. That’s one more thing crossed off your holiday list!
Minimise damage from chlorine and salt
Sea water and chlorine will dry out your hair (and hair extensions) and can irritate your scalp. They can also make your hair tangled and knotty.
Here are our top tips:
- Wet your hair with fresh water before a dip in the pool or ocean. This will mean your hair soaks up less salt or chlorine.
- If possible, always wash and condition your hair after swimming. At the very least, take a bottle of water with you so you can rinse it through. And always remember to re-apply your sun protection to your hair and skin after your dip.
- Always use a specifically formulated shampoo and conditioner to remove chlorine and hydrate stressed hair. Redken All Soft Shampp and Conditioner is a firm favourite of ours.
- Keep blondes looking beautiful and neutralise any green or ‘brassy’ tones caused by chlorinated pools with Blondage shampoo.
Give your hair a holiday
While you’re away, try to avoid heated styling tools if you can and allow your hair to dry naturally.
If you are using heated tools then always, always apply a thermal protector product, such as Flat liner, which reduces the harsh drying effects of styling tools and hairdryers.
Continuing the pre-holiday planning theme… get shopping!
- Covering up is the quickest and easiest way to protect your hair and scalp from the sun’s damaging and drying rays. Don’t wait until you’re on holiday to buy flattering hats, tropical scarves and glitzy hair accessories ready for those poolside Insta pics.
- Stock up on the right hair products – we’ve travel sizes too if you’re jetting to sunny shores or are tight on packing space.
Book your appointments today
Call now to book your pre-holiday and post-holiday appointments or for advice on the right vacation products to keep your locks sun-kissed not sun-stressed 01472 694900.
P.S. Have an amazing holiday!